The loss was Pulver's ninth in his last 12 fights, and it snapped a two fight winning streak in 2011. But despite the multitude of losses in recent memory and constant calls for retirement from a large segment of fans, Pulver was defiantly adamant after the fight that he'd make the decision himself on when to retire.
"It was his night. I'm not gonna sit here and say it wasn't mine. He came out like an animal," Pulver said. "I know the fans out there [say] 'retire, retire, retire.' The one thing I want to say about that is you don't die for me. I die alone. At the end of the day, we die alone.
"I'm not gonna hang my head. I'm not gonna be 67 sitting in the rocking chair saying 'I wish I, could I have, maybe.' I'll retire when I want to."
In other action on the card, former UFC middleweight Jake Rosholt was well on his way to victory over John Ott, having badly beaten and battered him for two and a half rounds. However, in the third round, Rosholt delivered an illegal knee strike to Ott's head while Ott's knee was on the ground, and it cost Rosholt the fight as he was disqualified when Ott couldn't continue.
His younger brother fared better, as Jared Rosholt needed just 97 seconds to take out Kirk Grinlinton. Rosholt took Grinlinton down, gained the mount and finished him with strikes on the ground. Full results for the night's card are below:
* Brian Davidson def. Jens Pulver via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:04 of the first round
* John Ott def. Jake Rosholt via DQ (illegal knee) at 4:23 of the third round
* Rudy Bears def. Darryl Cobb via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:30 of the first round
* Jared Rosholt def. Kirk Grinlinton via TKO at 1:37 of the first round
* Bobvia Cooper def. Nick Budig via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
* Joe Wilk def. Jesse Zeugin via submission (D?Arce choke) at 3:36 of the first round
* Sean Wilson def. Deryck Ripley via submission (toehold) at 2:00 of the first round